Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new gimp 2.10.38 appimages with python2
I've added a few more libs to Gimp 2.10.38 AppImage. (currently 92.3Mb)

https://github.com/TasMania17/Gimp-Appim...p-v2.10.38

After upgrading Debian 12 bookworm to 'testing' I find I need 'libfuse2t64' to load AppImages. It needs to be installed by apt and not included in the AppImage. 

Interestingly, Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat also needs libfuse2t64 to load AppImages so not sure if somebody has bowed to pressure or if there is another reason why fuse2 was dropped but replaced by libfuse2t64.

Debian testing is not a clean install but can only be updated to from stable. I find I'm able to diagnose hardware issues better with Debian because its closer to the metal Smile
Just for info: gimp-2-10-38-fuse-overlay-py2.AppImage working in (k)ubuntu 24.04
Thanks rich I appreciate the feedback. Happy it's working with Kubuntu 24.04.

This appimage loads G'MIC-Qt if installed. It also updates it. I just installed gmic 3.4.0 'all interfaces' version. That gives you the stand-alone, cli and GMIC-Qt for Gimp.

Hi, Tas,

FWIW, I have your (I think) gimp-2-10-38-overlay-py2.AppImage running in Ubuntu 24.04.1 in order to use (at least some) scripts, like WrapMap, but I find that it does not respond to keyboard input.

For example, I cannot edit the name of a layer, or even change the filename from 'Unnamed.png' for an exported file.

I've been going between the AI and standardGIMP depending on whether I'm using scripts or doing administrative tasks.

[EDIT: I just found your post expressing your, deep, concerns about what's going on with Ubuntu. I can understand that you won't be excited about continuing to bend over backwards to make an AppImage compatible with Ubuntu's latest-and-greatest, since they seem to be moving away from you...

You said that going forward Debian might be an alternative.

This is absolutely going to annihilate my workflow. I will install a latest-Debian-release virtual machine post-haste and see if I can get your AppImage to wake up there.

A--very--belated thank-you for all your work to keep GIMP scripts alive this far by bundling Python2 support into an AppImage.]
Just as a note I use kubuntu 24.04 (maybe not 24.04.1 but it is up-to-date )

I use both a regular Gimp 2.10.38 install from the PPA https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuhandbook1/+...buntu/gimp and the gimp-2-10-38-fuse-overlay-py2.AppImage

A bit overkill, since the appimage Gimp works on its own. Using it as a launcher gives a bit more scope for "tweaking", for example I use my own MathMap installation - the composer version and still gets me python support.

Using both might also fix your keyboard entry problem.

However, I do know that the mathmap incorporated into the appimage works ok with (k)ubuntu 24.04

My other variance is, I unpack the appimage and run that from my home folder - just a preference of mine.

...I tend to agree about what a PITA 'buntu has become, I use a few old programs and it becomes harder to get them working with every new version.