Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Image layering and blending with background
Not sure what the correct topic would be so hopefully this is the right group to post the question. 

I am creating a logo, I am using a cartoon image of a bulldog and want to place a large prehistoric bone in its open mouth. What I am trying to achieve is that when I place the bone in the dogs mouth I can bring forward certain features such as teeth, muzzle and such so they are visible while keeping others like tongue and cheeks obscured by the bone.

I have added a photo to illustrate what I am trying to do, its not a cartoon but the idea is the same. When the bone is in the mouth certain features are visible and others are not can I accomplish the same using Gimp?

Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Use google to get some examples : look with ' bulldog with bone'

You would probably use a layer mask
see: https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-layer-mask-add.html  and https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Layer_Masks/

Two layers, bone on top of dog. Add a layer mask to the bone layer. Paint in black to uncover the bottom layer or white to cover up when you make a mistake.

Painting features in is not an option and I guess Gimp is not the right application to use. What is the technical name for what I am trying to achieve? I may need to look at other apps to get the effect I am looking for.

I solved it. I adjusted the bones layer opacity so I can see the layer below then I used the erase tool to remove the areas that should be seen and left the rest as is. Worked out a treat.
(05-20-2024, 12:53 PM)lpd7 Wrote: Painting features in is not an option and I guess Gimp is not the right application to use. What is the technical name for what I am trying to achieve? I may need to look at other apps to get the effect I am looking for.

I solved it. I adjusted the bones layer opacity so I can see the layer below then I used the erase tool to remove the areas that should be seen and left the rest as is. Worked out a treat.

Yes, that works, it is the procedure a beginner uses.

For anyone else who comes across this post.
Using a layer mask is the same except it is non-destructive. Paint black acts as eraser, paint white un-erases.
(05-20-2024, 02:06 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(05-20-2024, 12:53 PM)lpd7 Wrote: Painting features in is not an option and I guess Gimp is not the right application to use. What is the technical name for what I am trying to achieve? I may need to look at other apps to get the effect I am looking for.

Yes, that works, it is the procedure a beginner uses.

For anyone else who comes across this post.
Using a layer mask is the same except it is non-destructive. Paint black acts as eraser, paint white un-erases.

I will try the layer mask next time. The method I used was pretty quick and achieved the desired result.
Usually done with three layers: the dog, the bone and a copy of the muzzle over the bone.
(05-21-2024, 12:14 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Usually done with three layers: the dog, the bone and a copy of the muzzle over the bone.

I will keep that in mind. Thanks for your input.
(05-22-2024, 04:33 PM)lpd7 Wrote:
(05-21-2024, 12:14 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: Usually done with three layers: the dog, the bone and a copy of the muzzle over the bone.

Like this:

(05-22-2024, 07:50 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(05-22-2024, 04:33 PM)lpd7 Wrote:

Like this:
I am not sure how this would work, the outcome is what I was looking to achieve but the process of the multiple layers eludes me. I did a layer for the dog and one for the bone, adjusted transparency to see what needed to be removed to get the bone to look as it was being held by the dog which to my newbie way of thinking seemed logical. How does the muzzle and part head work into this? I will need to generate more like this from various perspectives so I will tinker and see what comes of it. Thank you. PS...Is this method or illusion known by a specific name one can look up?